Is your gas meter in the way? Let GPS London safely move it to a better location for you.
We at GPS London understand that sometimes your gas meter may not be in the best place, especially when you are planning for a building extension or conservatory to be added to your home. In fact the top six reasons for needing a gas meter relocating are:
- building an extension
- change of building layout
- external alterations requiring service re-routing
- having a conservatory added
- re-purposing the space under the stairs
- adding a new kitchen
No matter what your reason for needing to move your gas meter, we are here to help. We have a team of fully-qualified, dedicated Gas Safe registered engineers that are just a phone call away. We will make the process of moving your gas meter smooth and easy.
Relocating your Gas Meter
When you need to move your gas meter to make way for a building extension or for a kitchen re-fit, you need to think about where it can safely be positioned so you can easily access it. We understand that if you could choose to keep your meter were it is you would, but this isn’t always possible when conducting building work. You can call on GPS to help you out with this and we can advise you about where to move your gas meter and also safely relocate this for you.
We will also check that whatever building work you have planned will not risk any potential damage to your gas service pipe. This is the pipe that connects your home directly to the gas main in your street. If you are unsure about any aspect of having your meter moved, the we can come out and perform an inspection for you.
When you book with GPS London, you will have the reassurance of knowing you are dealing with professionals with years of service in the industry. We will keep you up to date with everything as your work is undertaken and will ensure that all work is completed to regulatory standards and on schedule. We understand that you don’t want any delays with your building or renovation work, so you can rely on us and our team of qualified local engineers to get your meter moved as swiftly as possible.
Can we move the gas meter anywhere?
Moving your gas meter to a more convenient place can be quite a straightforward task, or it can a little more complicated depending on your type of building, the building layout and how far away from its original location it needs to be moved. This is why it pays to have a professional inspection conducted before setting your heart on a particular place to relocate the meter to.
Here are some things to consider:
- A back to back alteration would mean moving your meter through an external wall to re-home it in an external meter box. This is a good choice for a property where the meter is already fixed to the inside of an external wall and would require minimal extra length of service pipe to complete. This can be the most cost-effective way of moving a meter out of the way.
- A standard alteration would mean moving the meter within three metres of its original place. This is handy if your meter sits in your kitchen and is in the way of any kitchen units you may want to fit.
- Extra-length alterations are for when a meter needs to be moved a fair distance away from its original site. Extra costs would arise from the need for more pipework. Keep an eye on anything that may cause and issue for the relocation such as drains and underground services.
If you are in doubt about anything to do with moving your gas meter, please do not hesitate to contact us. One of our friendly customer service team members will be happy to help!